We currently monitor both the Google and Yandex Safe Browsing databases. The Google database is more current, and provides more details than the current implementation of the Yandex database (as of the writing of this article).
Google Safe Browsing Database
The Google database provides both the threat type, as well as the platform the threat was identified on. When we mark a host as listed on a Safe Browsing database, we’ll include both of these details to make it easier for you to resolve the issue.
Four threat types are identified by the Google Database:
- Malware – these are viruses that have infected, or are being spread by this host.
- Social Engineering – this is a phishing style attack, generally used to collect information from unsuspecting visitors.
- Harmful Applications – these are applications or hosts that are harmful in some other way.
- Unwanted Software – these are applications or hosts that are generally seen as unwanted applications or installs.
Six platforms are identified by the Google Database:
- Windows – the Microsoft Windows operating systems; used on most PC’s around the world.
- Linux – the Linux operating system- not distribution specific.
- Android Mobile – the Android mobile operating system, using on mobile devices and tablets.
- Apple OSX – the Apple operating system used on Apple devices (excluding iPhones, iPads, etc.)
- Apple iPhone – the iOS operating system used on Apple iPhones, iPads, iWatch, etc.
- Chrome OS – the Chrome operating system used on Chrome books.
The platform can also be identified as “All Platforms“, indicating the threat effects all platforms, or “Any Platform” indicating that it can affect one or more.
Yandex Safe Browsing Database
The Yandex database doesn’t provide as much detail. Currently, two threat types are identified:
- malware – these are viruses that have infected, or are being spread by this host.
- phishing – this is a phishing style attack, generally used to collect information from unsuspecting visitors.
The platform specific information is not currently available via the Yandex database.